Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Been Away


Man, have I been busy. Moving, getting set up at new apartment, work, work events, my teammate at work was out for nearly 3 weeks, blah, blah, blah. What has changed. Hurricane Katrina hit and wiped out Southern Louisiana and Mississippi. Some friends of friends and their families living in New Orleans lost everything. Lots of people evacuated and will probably end up staying in Houston for good. Supreme Court Justice Rehnquist passed away.

While all of this was going on, I was busy moving into my new apartment. The first four days the air conditioning didn't work and I was sleeping in a pool of sweat with my windows open. After the first 14 days in my new place, I get a gas bill for nearly $64. Yesterday I finally received my shipment from the US after living in hotels since March. The first thing I did was test out my stereo and guitar amp. Whew, all is well. And I finally got internet service yesterday, too. As my friend Jennifer put it, "ahh, furniture and email". My friend Brent had his annual Lukarita party, which I was sorry to miss. My sister got a teaching job for this school year in Denver, so she was excited about that. She had a birthday a couple weeks ago, but I still have not been able to get in touch with her (Linsey, dadgummit!! :) This past weekend I ran a 5K/10K charity race at the Japan Imperial Palace. My company got 1st place in both the men's and women's 5K (no, it wasn't me). Later that same day, we had a BBQ for the IT group of my company at a park near Tamagawa River. I got slightly sunburned from being outside all day and today it's peeling away. I went to get money out of the ATM a couple weeks ago and, as my mind was so drained and occupied, I forgot to get the 10,000 yen out of the machine and didn't realize it until a few hours later. Idiot! But then this weekend as I was leaving the charity race, what did I find but 10,000 yen on the ground in the park with nobody in sight. Karma! Or else God is really bored and just messing with me.


Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to catch the Texas vs. Ohio State game this Sunday morning at 9 AM, because no sports bars I've found in Tokyo are open at that time. Gotta find a webcast or something. Any ideas, please email me.